Beyond the Guac
Avocados, avocados, avocados...they're everywhere! In the markets, of course, but now they're taking over the streets and the internet! They're causing crazes for restaurants like Avocaderia in Brooklyn, NY or on social media like the famous "The Guacamole Song"by Dr. Jean.
But avocados are more than just commodities of taste and music. They do so much more. Did you know that the women of ancient Aztec, Incan, and Mayan cultures used avocados as a major part of their beauty and health routine? They were definitely onto something.
Avocados are high in biotin, or B7, which keeps the skin moist. In addition, they contain antioxidant vitamins like A and E. Not only that, Avocado oil contains sterolins which are found in plant based oils and help skin produce collagen.
So experience what these ancient women have done for years with one of these five, easy options. Let our skin dig in!
Easy DIY Avocado Mask
Purpose: Anti-aging effect and reduce fine lines/wrinkles.
You can smash up avocado and apply it straight to your skin, or add some other great ingredients to whip up a moisturizing and detoxifying face mask.
Directions: **Our recommendation **
1. Combine avocado, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of yogurt for the perfect at-home recipe
2. Don't throw away the feel of an avocado. It contains a ton of that good-for-you-oil
3. Gently rub the inside of the peel all over your clean face
4. Apply the combined ingredients in number one on your face and let it sit for 15 minutes
Purpose: For a gorgeous, glowing complexion and a tiny waist.
Direction: Drink one glass of avocado juice per day. You heard that right- avocado juice!
1. Mix one ripened avocado with a cup of milk
2. Add however much honey to your liking for a delicious and refreshing drink
Your insides will feel and look as great as your outside.
Goodbye Dry, Itchy Scalp
Purpose: Treat dry/itchy scalp, frizzy hair, and dandruff.
Direction: Allow the amino acids, proteins, and oils to heal and hydrate.
1. Massage some smashed up avocado into your clean, dry scalp.
2. Keep on for 25 minutes and then rinse well before using shampoo.
Treatment for Puffy Eyes
Purpose: Decrease swollen eyes.
Direction: Here is a great solution. We swear it’s worth a try.
1. Peel an avocado and slice it in half
2. Remove the pit.
3. Cut each half into crescent shapes about ¼ inch thick.
4. Lie down and put a few slices under each eye.
5. Leave on for twenty minutes and then wash your face with water.
For Your Hands
Purpose: This scrub will exfoliate and soften your hands (you can also use it on your face).
1. Mash half of a ripe (medium sized avocado).
2. Mix it with 3-4 spoons of oatmeal, 1 egg white, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
3. Smooth the mixture over your hands or face.
4. Leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes.
5. Rinse and dry.
So don't just eat these green delicacies. Share it with your skin. Give your skin a chance to try them out and let us know in the comments below how the results were!